Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How the Thompson's got their groove back

While the Hubs and I were engaged, we had a lot of marriage advice thrown our way. Unfortunately, I can hardly remember any of it because I was blissfully unaware that we would ever need advice on marriage. The Hubs and I have practically been married since the day we met. We were well seasoned pros by the time we sealed the deal.

Have I ever told you about how the Hubs came over one day, and he never really went home? Well it's true. About a month into our relationship I'm at the grocery store when all of a sudden I realize I'm shopping for two. So I called Eric and asked him what kind of food he wanted. He gave me some crap about not caring, to just get whatever I want. I gave him some of my best 'not gonna take any crap' attitude and told him 'Look you better give me some suggestions cuz I dont want to hear any complaints about the food i buy.' See? Married since day one. (In the end he suggested Cap'N Crunch)

Anyway, out of all the marriage advice we were given, there was one thing that stuck out to both of us: Make time for each other without the kids; go on DATES.

We have tried really hard to make sure we spend quality time together on the weekends after the kids go to bed since the cost of a date in itself usually just stressed me out so much I don't want to go. After I add up how much it will cost to get an actually babysitter, and then dinner and whatever activity we decide I just want to cringe. It equals a tank of gas. or several boxes of diapers. I mean, I could do a lot with that kind of money. So we snuggle up at home and call it a date. Our dates usually turn into chore doing dates, but it's not too bad. Eric gets to eat entire tub of ice cream and I get to eat a whole bag of popcorn to myself. It's just like gorging ourselves at the movies. But with laundry and sweatpants involved.

On our moving day, we got a couple hours to do some shopping by ourselves and it was so exciting, it was pathetic. It was then that I realized I missed Mr. Thompson. Yes, I see him every day and we spend all of our time together, but our hands are usually full of babies and our conversations are full of who's going to feed who while the other starts the bath. I missed holding my husbands hands! I missed getting to be silly and not worry about getting children in and out of a store or a car. So we vowed to start small and do monthly date nights.

This last week, I was rummaging through some papers to find my art supplies when I found a gift certificate....from the 7th grade. Two $5.00 paper movie gift certificates. Geeze, that makes me feel old. Nowhere on it did it have an expiration date. So I decided we were going to see the Hunger Games. I figured that we could always end up paying the $10 if they wouldnt accept it, but at least it was worth a shot. I found a cinema that would accept the certificate, called up my sister-in-law and asked if she could watch the kids, and we had a date planned! I was so excited. The fact that it was at noon didn't even bother me. In fact, the noon showing turned out to be perfect for us.  It was gorgeous when we came out, the theater wasn't crowded and best of all... we paid $5 to see the movie!

Thank You Cineplex Odeon for housing our date.
And also, for the refill on Diet Coke, and the free bag of popcorn. 



2 comments:

  1. way to go... now just never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome :) and thanks for watching my kids today :) haa-cintaa

    ReplyDelete