Saturday, July 7, 2012

The adventures of buying our 1st Kiddie Pool

It was hot today. Like, really hot.

For Seattlites at least.

Each summer, I have passed these cheap little kiddie pools and thought briefly about owning one but never really had an extreme desire to because my experiences have been that they get all sorts of nasty in them.

Now that I have 2 boys, I have learned that the nastier the kids can make something, the more fun they seem to have with it.

We had invited one of my coworkers and her family over for a BBQ playdate today, so I went to Fred Meyer after work to pick up the makings. I stopped at home to pick up Ryan so that Eric could mow the lawn while Tristan was napping. As I'm pulling in to the parking lot, I see the sign. $9.99. For a pool? 10 bucks for hours of entertainment? I'm in.

(Turns out the small one is 9.99 and the big one is $20. BUT STILL- 20 bucks is a steal, even if you only use it one summer)

I get what I need and find my way to the customer service desk to inquire about how I get one of these bad boys-- and most importantly how do I transport it home in my economy friendly little car. Apparently it's illegal for them to help you tie the sucker down, but they could hoist it up on the roof for you. So I think I jimmy rig the thing on top of my car pretty good and a couple of guys ended up helping me anyway which was good because I was still in my work clothes (which are all black) and I was drowning in my own sweat and I get ready to leave when I suddenly realize that I have tied my door shut and will now have to climb in via the window with all these people watching.

Alright, I can live with that.

I climb in and take off.

I get about 3 minutes away when the sucker blows off the top of my car and I have to pull over, climb out of my car window on the side of the road with people buzzing by me, chase down my kiddie pool, carry it back and try to figure out a better method for tying this thing down, and then climb back in through the car window again. I'm sure I was quite a spectacle.




I'm still debating whether 20 bucks is a steal...





....All in a day's work.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh Ashley -- are you serious???? About the kiddie pools though - do you remember us having those? They seriously are the cheapest forms of entertainment (even though you have to keep a constant eye on the little ones) -- I remember Brett even having a good time in one once he was older -- like 7 or 8. A great way to cool off. I walked one home one time from Rite Aid with it on top of my head! :)

    ReplyDelete