Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Potty Talk

These are some search queries that may or may not have shown up on my Google Search History:


  • Potty training for dummies
  • How do I begin potty training?
  • What's the difference between a pull-up and a diaper?
  • What kind of potty seat is best for boys?
  • Potty Train in one day
  • Do little boys pee standing up or sitting down to start?
  • i have no clue what i'm doing
  • please help me
  • Bathroom playlists
  • Best iphone apps to beat boredom
  • How to remove human pee from your couch cushion

The list really does go on. For the last week and a half this has been my life:






First things first. 

I had to choose my method. Like with most things, I like to get to it. I don't like to dance around what's really going on. And what's really going on, is WE ARE WEARING UNDERWEAR NOW. No more diapers unless asleep. 

I googled a lot of "Potty Training in One Day" and the like. Well, we're on a week and a half and we had 3 accidents today...so obviously we didn't succeed in terms of '1-3 days and done' ...BUT! Our chart is full, and we wear underwear. And that's all that matters, right? I hope so.

I got this ^^ chart for free off the internet. Google "Thomas the Train Potty Charts"


Obviously, we haven't been focusing on much other than peeing in the potty. We MAKE him sit on the toilet, so I only gave him stickers for that the first day because I didn't want him to think that it was something he had a choice in, but I also wanted him to be excited about.  We also wash hands after every time, but he asks to do this about 10 times a day now (trick: Thomas soap) so I stopped making a big deal about it. Also, our toilet sucks and hardly ever flushes right....so that one was out the window. 

Of course, we bought Thomas underwear, and one pack of Disney variety underwear. He really likes picking out his underwear, and holding it while he sits on the toilet and tells me all about whoever is on his underwear. Yes, I know. Weird. 
"It's only weird if it doesn't work" ...........right....?



multi-tasker. 'he get it from his mama'


He usually is able to signal that he needs to go by doing a potty dance, and then if I ask him if he needs to pee, he'll say "Pee-Pee" but has yet to come tell me that he needs to go. So we're still on the whole reminding every 20 minutes. The first 3 days, we didn't leave the house and we literally sat him on the toilet for an average of 15 minutes each time and did this just about every half hour or so. He had a few accidents, but still managed to pee in the toilet twice in the first 24 hours and even had a BM, which I kinda think was a fluke but still. 

To be completely honest, I think it's working just like I thought. A lot of accidents and a LOT of laundry, but he is slowly getting it. He really doesn't like to be wet so when we've had to leave the house, I just keep his underwear on and put a diaper on over it so he still feels wet but doesn't get anything else wet. 

Anyway, I'd say we still have a couple weeks till we've got this thing, but HAVE NO FEAR... I will keep you all updated on what worked and what didn't.


Oh the joys of wearing underwear. Life is so good when you're 2.


I know you go to bed at night wondering, "Hey did Ashley & Eric's kid learn to pee on the toilet yet?" So don't worry, I'll keep you all in the loop.




No comments:

Post a Comment