Friday, April 6, 2012

A day in the life

...of a stay at home momma.

Let's be real here,  a lot of people have this idea of stay at home moms as some sort of Wisteria Lane where we all drive massive SUV's and are dressed beautifully and wear aprons and bake cookies all day long and gossip all day long. I'm here to tell you what it's really like. for me, at least. the dirty details:

7:30am: Baby cries. Mommy turns off the monitor, rolls over and tells Daddy the baby is crying. Daddy doesn't flinch.

7:35am: Baby is screaming and now Toddler is awake pounding on his door to be let out.
7:40am: Mommy rolls out of bed. Assumes her husband must be dead.

From here, I typically get about 30 seconds to myself and I use it to pee. I always pee first thing in the morning or else I'll wet myself because I won't get an opportunity for another couple of hours, and well...we all know how us moms and our bladder control are.

I somehow manage to get the coffee going, but don't even consider making myself breakfast yet. I stick two waffles in the toaster while my toddler has a melt down that he can't have them right now. While those are cooking, I make a bottle and press the ON button on the TV and whatever DVD was in there starts playing. (This is where being thankful for Disney Fast Play comes in at Thanksgiving). I have about 5 minutes to do this before I want to run far away. If you've ever heard Tristan have a meltdown, you know why. Once the waffles are done, I stick em on a plate and I hand it to him. Yep. I let him eat his waffles in front of the TV. I'm a quality mommy. I pour myself some coffee, and sit down to catch up on my social media while the kids play with cars, roll on the floor, and watch Mickey Mouse. Then when I realize that we're already late for the gym, I go in and yell for the Hubs to wake up. He doesn't move a muscle. Must be dead. The next step of our morning is my least favorite.  The huge ordeal of removing pajamas. I always opt to change Ryan first because he's not very strong so if he tries to put up a fight I can put him in his place. Changing Tristan out of his pajamas is sometimes a 20 minutes process. By this time, our goal of getting to the gym by 945 is shot, but at least the Hubs is vertical. Not moving yet, but vertical.

Slowly but surely we make it to the gym. The getting up and moving, getting dressed and out of the door is the hardest part of my day.

My glamorous Housewife outfit

From here, things vary. For example, today we had the great task of an oil change. However, this was no ordinary oil change. This was my very first GROUPON purchase. We desperately needed new wiper blades and an oil change and this package included those bad boys so I just felt like it was made for me. Oil changes irritate me. I hate paying for things that I can't see. Really, I'm just very frugal I suppose but just like I hate when the Hubs spends the money on fast food (because we have nothing to show for it), I hate spending money on changing my oil. Isn't this what parents are for? These are the boring and tedious parts of becoming an adult and parent that I'd rather not experience. I once complained to my stepmom about how irritating it was for me to buy toilet paper. Yes, I also hate buying toilet paper. For my birthday that year, I recieved a costco pack of toilet paper. Best.gift. ever. Except for my thirty 2 liters of Diet Coke that my arrived at my doorstep on my 23rd birthday, also courtesy of my stepmom.
the great part about having kids is that any errand, is an adventure.
i like adventures.

Next on the agenda, or maybe this was before...? It all starts to run together. I mean, I thought it was Tuesday today. Either way, we made a stop somewhere in there to pick up ink cartridges for the printer. *Exciting* I know. Then, we headed to the bank. Letting my husband go into the bank by himself always worries me. He is too polite. They always try to sucker him in to something and it always takes 20 minutes. 
Oh well, lucky for me the kids fell asleep. 



Now that our alloted errands time is up, it's time to go home for lunch, nap time, and to  let our dogs out. Can't forget about them. I love to order things online for the pure excitement of recieving things in the mail or on my doorstep. I typically get a better price too and I rarely overspend when I shop online too. Today, this is what came:

Martha Stewart fringe scissors, Tristan's birthday cupcake stand and cupcake wrappers...
oh yes. and Catching Fire. So excited.
Thank you Amazon.
This is a hightlight of my day.
Next, the Hubs leaves and is off to work. I get a little ME time to shower, facebook, etc.
Today, I got a nice treat. It's always a more eventful day when I get a friend to come visit, but it's the best when my favorite redhead comes to play. This time, we had big plans. Our favorite pastimes have always included gorging ourselves with delicious treats, gossiping about everyone we know, and watching ridiculous shows such as Teen Mom, Sex and the City, etc. You get the idea. This time, we chose a more healthy route. Although Kristen never shows up without food of some sort (this time = carrot cake cupcakes), we actually had plans to go to the gym together. Originally we were going to test out a Spin class (or Cycle as LA Fitness calls it) but I got the days mixed up, so we're going to test that out on Monday. Working out with friends is so much more fun. It didn't even seem like work. 



Naturally, we stopped at Starbucks on the way home and Kristen treated me and Tristan to some yummy treats. I've gotten Tristan into a terrible habit where he thinks that Starbucks means donuts. He always gets a donut when we go to Starbucks. So, of course he got a donut. These things are half the size of his head. and he's in the 75% percentile!


It's also 7 o clock which means it dinner time. Yep. Like I said, I'm a quality mommy. He also got to share a cupcake with me and scarf down dinonuggets for dinner. Now that's what I call the dinner of a champion. 

Kristen was off and bedtime had arrived. Changing into pj's is the easiest part of my day. Tristan happily and obediently lets me get the pj's on and Ryan is usually half awake during this. By the time I'm done putting Ryan's pj's on, he's struggling to keep his eyes open. Within seconds of being put in his crib, he's asleep. Angel baby.
Next is story time with Tristan. If Ryan is still awake, we like to invite him too. I can practically recite Mr. Brown Can Moo and the Very Hungry Caterpillar, along with several others but I don't even have to recite The Very Hungry Caterpillar tonight because by the time I finish Mr. Brown Can Moo, T is wiping his eyes and laying down. 

Now, is my time to catch up on cleaning, laundry, feed the dogs dinner, ask google all the questions about life I've ever had, and blog.

So there you have it. 
A day in the life of Ashley Thompson, housewife version.

No comments:

Post a Comment