Monday, June 11, 2012

What's yours is mine, baby :)

As most married couples learn over the course of marriage, there are perks of being married...and there are, what we're going to call "downfalls". One of the things I wonder a lot, is why we marry the people we like? Once you're married you never get to see that person! Okay, so that's a downfall of marriage. You miss your spouse. 

But one of the perks, and my personal favorite:

"What's yours is mine" 
(Men: don't forget--this only applies to the women.)

So, Alex.. is actually Eric's friend. or was. But I like Alex too, so we're going to call him OUR friend. Because we're married, and we share everything.

You know who else really likes Alex? 
This little guy.


My favorite memory of Alex (and probably when I decided that he was my favorite of Eric's friends) was one night back in our apartment on Capitol Hill. Eric and I were having a dispute. Ok, a FIGHT. Like a real pretend fight. One where we would argue about something that neither one really knew what we were arguing over, but whatever it was... it was to be taken seriously. We used to argue a lot and then I'd sometimes throw belongings out the window or do crazy psychotic girlfriend type things. But this night, I think we were just really tired and didn't want to actually hash it out. So we agreed to take to our own belongings. Since the bed was mine, I got the "bedroom"* and Eric got the couch. 

*We rented a "One" bedroom apartment but our bedroom had CLOSET doors that led to the living room, so there was no privacy really and no such thing as sound proof*

Our first apartment :)
To my surprise, Eric actually asked me if he could have Alex over. I agreed and Alex came over. 
So here's when I decided I liked Alex. You know how when you're a kid and your friend's brother is being a jerk, so you're not allowed to talk to said brother because he's the "enemy"? Well, for some reason a lot of people carry this false sense of loyalty with them into adulthood. But not Alex. He said Hi to me and talked to me as if there wasn't a giant elephant in the room. 

And then he made me dinner. 

That was all it took. 
I bet you didn't know I was so easy to please.
( Eric will be silently disagreeing as he reads this...)






No comments:

Post a Comment