Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Non Diet.

Part of my journey is to get the body, the energy, and the endurance that I want, without going on a diet.


Surprisingly, this will be the easiest part of my journey. I typically eat pretty well...however, I am human and I like to eat pizza and birthday cake at a birthday party and occasionally have dessert or go out to eat and get a burger. But, fortunately (or unfortunately...not sure) our budget doesn't really allow for any fast food and rarely allows for a sit down meal at a restaurant- although we are going to make a better effort at getting in real date nights, so we'll have to get creative :) However, I do eat a lot of carbs.

My pre fitness diet looked something like this:

Coffee. Diet Coke. Pasta. Chicken. Diet Coke. Coffee. Greens. Pasta. Coffee. Diet Coke. Diet Coke. Diet Coke. Repeat.

You get the idea. I eat the same foods over and over and over, and I'm totally fine with it. I have kind of a repetitive personality, I think it must be a Gibson thing because my brother and I both do it. We will listen to songs on repeat until you can't take it anymore. But it will not phase us in the least. Anyway- the two things I'm trying to kick are the Diet Coke and the Coffee. For more reasons than one. The Diet Coke is going well. Have only had a couple drinks at special occasions but haven't purchased any for the home in over a month. I'm working on the coffee...

I'm adding more protein: Dairy, Eggs, Turkey, Granola, etc.
and controlling my portions. That is the key for me. I sometimes eat like a horse :)

I'm not DIETing, I'm adjusting my Diet.

The point of this is to be able to enjoy my food, not be stressed about it. I don't want to eat like a mouse, I want to eat like a 24 year old woman.

I've done the dieting, and it isn't for me anymore. Diets drain me, they make me feel fatigued, stressed, and OCD. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a quick (and temporary) fix then dieting is the way to go. But I'm not; I'm looking for long term life changes, and most importantly I want to feel good. I want to be able to keep up with my boys and be active so that they are active and healthy.

So here's to my Non Diet!

10lbs down today! It took awhile to get started but I think I've finally reached what I hope is going to be the stage where the pounds starts to actually come off. 12 more pounds of baby weight left, and then I'll enter my next phase of reaching my goal BMI.

Excited to be making progress, feeling motivated and accomplished today :)

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment a while back but my phone wouldn't let me! But congrats on the exercising and eating healthy! That's awesome. I have yet to exercise regularly like I was before Ellie was born, and I miss it. But it's awesome what you're doing!

    Oh! And before I got married I did the watching what I eat; I wrote down everything I ate everyday in an effort to know what I was eating and control my caloric intake. It was tedious, but I like to think it worked for long term as well...somewhat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I downloaded an app that tracks my exercise and food and it's shocking to realize how little you can eat and be so close to reaching your calorie max for the day! Good habits to get into though :)

      Delete