Monday, March 5, 2012

The Plague

It came on rather suddenly and while it was intense, it was short lived and for this... we are grateful.

We were headed out to Lynnwood (This is about an hour away from our new home) to pick up some things from the dealership we bought our car at when it started.

First, it was a simple puke which is unfortunately not out the ordinary for us. Tristan gets carsick quite often, so at first we thought it was just that. We were a bit disappointed because we had gone so long without him throwing up that we thought maybe he had outgrown it. Oh yeah, and he had just splattered vomit all over our new car.

We weren't really feeling too terrible for him since he's pretty used to this and all.

It wasn't until 10 minutes had passed and he threw up again. and again. and again. I think we counted a total of 10 or so by the time we got to the dealership. By this time, we had concluded that he had gotten The Plague.

The Plague is a stomach bug that his cousins had gotten just last weekend. We played with them on Friday and their illness started on Saturday. We thought for sure we'd get it, but by Wednesday we had written ourselves off of ever getting it. The worst part about The Plague is that it comes out of nowhere. One minute everything is fine and then BAM! You're outta commission for the next 24-72 hours.

 

^ This was them having a blast in the tunnel last Friday before Nate and Alaina (middle and right) got hit with The Plague.

So we finally pull off the freeway and get to the car dealership. Eric runs in while I clean Tristan off and wait outside with the babies. Once I finished, I realized that we had no change of clothes and his sweatshirt was covered in vomit and (of course) so was his tshirt. I wiped his tshirt down with baby wipes as best as I could do but then of course, his shirt was wet and it was pretty cold out. I had let him sit in the car for only a few minutes before he continued to throw up. I thought it'd be safest for my vehicle for us to wait outside.

Sporting my pink sweatshirt in an attempt to stay warm.


Lucky for us, it was a quick trip and we were on our way back. We came home, vomit-proofed our house with blankets and towels everywhere and set up camp in the living room with movies and puke buckets. Yay for Saturday Nights!



We thought it was bad that Tristan had thrown up over 15 times before we even went to bed, but we were woken up by Ryan at 3AM (who rarely wakes before 530) who was  now vomitting as well. This made us really nervous because Ryan chokes easily. So we lined our bedroom with blankets and towels and one pack n play on each side of the bed. The boys were exhausted from throwing up so once changed into dry clothes they fell back asleep immediately. (By the way, we were already at 2 loads of laundry- just of vomit clothes/towels) When I had gotten up to tend to Tristan, I had felt a bit queasy but I suppose everyone does when dealing with this amount of throw up. Well, I was wrong. I was the next victim of The Plague.

The story ends here, because what I did for the next 24 hours will not be posted on the internet. I did at least attempt to help Eric with holding a baby or two while he made bottles or changed the other one, but I was down for the count.

 Eric was great! Super Dad, in fact. He did laundry, he fed kids, he cleaned vomit, he changed kids soaked in their own diarrhea, he rocked our sad 6 month old (Happy 1/2 Birthday RyRy!) and most of all, he fed me and let me sleep, and didn't even complain. I think he was happy to be put to work so long as he didn't have what we did. 



2 comments:

  1. Glad it was so short lived....it was longer @ my house...maybe bcuz I have 4 kids...maybe bcuz nate is special and things always seem to hit him hard...either , im just glad its over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that is a lot of vomit. Don't know if I could handle all that vomit in the car. Car vomit is the worst!

    Cute blog and good look with working out!

    Cachet

    ReplyDelete