Friday, March 2, 2012

My Journey to Fitness post IUD.

Despite my mothers best efforts to stuff me full of wheat bread, tofu, dried fruits, nuts, soy milk, etc etc... I have never been one for health and fitness.

As a teen, I was completely oblivious to nutrition and fitness and while I had wanted to lose weight, I really had no idea how to do it. I finally figured it out by lots of research and some serious motivation that came out of nowhere. I was able to lose some weight which I then gained back slowly over 2 years of err...college fun.

Anyway, I'm turning over a new leaf.

For the first time in my life, I belong to a gym. I have a gym membership.

Still trying to wrap my mind around it. I really can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I must say, it is FUN. I enjoy going there every day, and most of all I LOVE dropping my kids off at their Kids Klub. This was my motivating factor for joining LA Fitness. Eric had wanted to join awhile back and I told him 'Maybe'. I said, If you start jogging 5-6 times a week for a month, we can join. Well...he didn't. But neither did I. Here we were in February and not only had I not lost any more baby weight since Ryan was 6 weeks old... I had GAINED 10lbs and I hadn't even attempted to go for a simple walk.

First things first, I started assessing all these crazy things I had been going through. I felt that I had been eating well and while I hadn't done and cardio workouts or anything like that, I had been far more active and trying to make an effort to do so. I couldn't believe that I had gained weight. On top of that, I had been having terrible migraines (which I stupidly attributed to lack of caffeine) and I felt irritable and snappy all the time. I could barely get up and stay up. I found myself extremely tired all the time, even though I had two babies that were sleeping through the night. Every time we got in the car, I felt nauseas to the point where I would need to close my eyes and lean the seat back. There were a lot of other really not fun side effects that let me to look up the IUD and other womens experiences. While it seems that some women do completely fine with it, others do not. Unfortunately my body was not responding well to this IUD I had gotten after Ryan was born...6 weeks postpartum. The very week that I started gaining weight. So I got it out, there was about a week where I pretty much slept the whole week and now I feel so much better.

Shortly after, I decided I needed to get my butt in gear. I had a friend from HS that kept posting things on FB about specials they were having, so I contacted him, got a great deal, and went in the very day I signed up. I dropped my kids off at the Kids Klub and off I went. Here's the great thing about Kids Klub and LA Fitness and why this gym worked best for me...first, it's just $10/mo to drop your kids off for up to 4 hours, as many times a day as you want. Their hours are a little odd during the week (8am-noon and then again from 4pm-8pm) but it works great with our naptime! This means that I can come in the morning, workout for an hour or so...go home, put my kids down for a nap, feed them lunch, let them play at home and get whatever we need to get done, take them to story time, wtvr! and then, I can go back for an evening cardio class. And I can do this every day for $10/mo. I also can take as many classes per day as I want, workout all day every day, use the pool and sauna, take a shower, etc at no extra cost.

This post is turning very long and well, I need to get ready to head to the gym- Mr. Thompson and I are having date mornings there :) It's very nice! More to come.

Leaving you all with lots to look forward to-- more house pics, updates on my fitness plan, and I suppose you can expect some pics of my cuties somewhere in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment