Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Runners High!

Oh yeah, I got it.

I got the runners high.



After 3 weeks of struggling and pushing (quite literally) through my runs, I finally had what I may just call an "enjoyable" run. It was like my legs had wings. And I didn't have a heart attack, or feel like I might. It was all very lovely.

Now that I'm saying this, my run tomorrow will probably feel dreadful and hard. But that's okay. To know that eventually I will get to the point where 3 miles is a normal workout is what keeps me going. I remember when I first joined LAF my first workout consisted of 12 minutes on the eliptical. Seriously. This is no joke.

Now one year later- an average workout consists of anywhere from 45-1.5 hours of cardio split between one or two of the following: eliptical, cross runner, stairmill, spin bike &  tredmill. When I first started the stairmill, I was at 8 minutes and soaked in sweat. Literally dripping. I've now worked myself up quite a few levels, although I play around with that sometimes and I get about 30 minutes on the stairmill. Working up to 45 is the goal. I love writing goals down and then months later stumbling across them and realizing, "OMG! I beat this last month!" It makes me so happy.

That's why when I ran my 3-3.5 miles to the gym the other day only to get there and realize I beat my time by a whole 8 minutes, I kinda freaked out. If I wasn't alone I would've been jumping up and down with glee. The run was such a breeze. I was tempted to run back it felt so good. Thankfully, Eric picked me up because after I cooled down and stretched I realized my legs were actually tired.

Can't wait for the Color Run!
2 months exactly, here I come!!











2 comments:

  1. It's a great feeling to break through those barriers! Another way I can tell I'm getting more fit is when I take less time to recover after a workout. I remember at one time "feeling" a workout all day long and being so sore and physically "spent" later in the day -- and then doing the same workout or harder and later in the day trying to remember if I had even worked out! That was a sign to increase the intensity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I notice that too. I like to switch it up a lot and use different machines too...we have 2 different brands of elipticals at the gym and one is SO easy and the other i'm burning after 10 minutes!

    ReplyDelete