Monday, March 11, 2013

Quinoa Banana Bran Muffins

I recently vented to Facebook that I didn't understand why the Covington/ Maple Valley area didn't have a Target, a Trader Joe's (or any natural market for that matter, tsk tsk), or even a Jimmy John's. It's a sad sad thing. If I had to pick the place that feels closest to home- outside of Issaquah- it would be Covington. However-- I can't help but feel the need to deduct 10 cool points for not having these things... I really dislike Wal-Mart in general, and feel passionately that they should just get rid of it entirely and replace it with a Super Target. Or even a Whole Foods, or PCC or...movie theater? C'mon Cov-town, get it together.

You know what town DOES have 2/3 of these things that I so deeply love?

 Issaquah. 

Issaquah really is the best. You can't argue with me on this one. Target, Costco, PCC, Trader Joe's, REI, Movie theater, ETC-- the list truly goes on. 
Plus-- I'm from Issaquah, therefore adding 10 cool points there... ;)

Anyway. I was in deep need of these things and the Kent Target kinda scares me :/ so we made a day trip out of it and ventured out to Issaquah. 

Got all my goods for a few Pinterest snacks I found. We've been looking for healthier snacking options because we're getting bored. I get in food ruts frequently. I could eat eggs, broccoli, salmon, and oatmeal every day for the rest of my life and not blink an eye. However, in the name of weight loss I know I need to change things up frequently so there I sat, scouring Pinterest for healthy snack options. 

One thing I'm seriously loving is that Costco is so on board with this whole natural/organic/healthy movement. LOVE YOU COSTCO, I could kiss you! 
Healthy food can get pricey so it's great that we can stock up at Costco on certain things. And for everything else, there's Fred Meyer's (whose natural food section is to die for, seriously... I spend hours in those 3 aisles...) and of course, Trader Joe's.


^^ Isn't is cute!? All the street names in Issaquah. I just about died. 
Made my heart pitter patter full of homesickness.



I am no baker. 
Really. Quite terrible actually. 
But this was the easiest thing in the whole world. 
Boil your quinoa, mix ingredients, stick in oven. 
DONE. 


BAM. Snacks for the whole week. All the ingredients are all natural and although I chose to use an egg, there's an egg replacement option listed as well. I also swapped the 1% milk out for Rice Milk and chose to use paper cups (because I accidently bought JUMBO forever ago, and I'm trying to get rid of them...) instead of spraying my tray. Also, I did not use the milk chocolate candy or the walnuts-- because I hate walnuts. These muffins are pretty good on their own, but a little bland (they're basically a bran muffin without the milk chocolate candy) so today I tried a *little* peanut butter with it, and tomorrow I'm going to try some coconut oil, and maybe some Agave later this week.

Such a versatile little muffin!

Yummm :)




No comments:

Post a Comment