Monday, September 3, 2012

People {and blogs} I love

I love people who are honest, real, and open. They are my favorite kind.

I have a hard time finding these people sometimes, but when I do... they are so worth the wait! Sometimes I hate social media. I hate that sometimes life feels like a big status update, and nobody is ever really sincere or genuine. I guess that's why I've been hiding from my blog; because I'm a big chicken. I became concerned with how my life felt and less with how it looked and I just kinda wanted to hide for awhile.

 And then, there are days like today where I am just carousing Pinterest for ideas for Ryan's upcoming birthday, and I find something that helps. That might even be life-changing. We'll see. 

It is some kind of miracle when you stumble upon a blog-- from a perfect stranger no less, that really hits home with you. I found this couple's blog while on Pinterest, and I immediately felt inspired by their story. They openly admitted to needing help and guidance from family, friends and God and they were rewarded sweetly.

I wanted to share some of the post that I loved in case somebody else out there finds it inspiring the way that I did. I personally like the first 3 the best, and #3 is my all time favorite because I love to write letters and journal but I strongly encourage you to click the link and read the whole post. The hubs and I want to try a few of these out! I am so excited to start new traditions to strengthen our marriage! We'll keep you posted :)

1. Weekly Questions: For the past five years Tim and I have been asking each other the same five questions every Sunday night. These questions have made the biggest difference in how we love and serve one another throughout the week. If you're going to incorporate one of these 10 things into your marriage, we hope it's this one.

2. A Small Metal Box: After reading this story, Tim and I made a pact that each time we made love we would put a dollar in a special metal box and save it for our 50th anniversary trip to Hawaii. This has surprisingly been a great way for us to creatively pursue intimacy with one another over the years. Our only advice would be to not count the money in your box. Focus on quality, not quantity.

3. Traveling Journal: There is a journal we share that's filled with words that would make you blush. We take turns writing in it, always hiding it for the other to find in an unexpected place. It's been foundduct taped to our shower, in suitcases when traveling, even in the refrigerator behind the Cool Whip. (Pretty sure Husband was trying to tell me something). Overall, this has been a great way for us to verbally affirm and encourage one another.

This is why I love the blogging community. Putting your life on public display can be scary, especially when things aren't smooth sailing... but the thought that something that you may have struggled with, and learned from may help someone else (or even yourself) is the point of this all right? With that said, I vow to return to my blog and not hide from sharing my life and my lessons with all the people I love.



WE thank all of our family and friends for all the love and support and encouraging words and phone calls and texts and messages, and babysitting, and...anything else I'm missing...we appreciate it :) We love you all!

XOXO,

Thompson's :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're back :) Matt and I love reading your blog! And thanks for linking the other blog. I think I'd like to try out their ideas!

    ReplyDelete