Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Tough times never last, but tough people do"

I had planned to blog about our AMAZING weekend on Sunday evening, but certain events prevented me from even thinking about a blog, or computer, or anything other than my own family and our safety.

Saturday, Eric & I were able to go to the Temple to do baptism's;  a first for both of us. It was truly one of the greatest experiences. We decided to continue our tradition of celebrating baptism's with Red Robin shakes and fries afterwards. Once we got home, the 3 of us passed out together. We were physically and emotionally drained, but in a good way! We all slept like babies.

Sunday, we celebrated Father's Day with a BBQ and Rootbeer floats and watched a hilarious movie (Just Go With It) with JayC and her kids. It was a truly enjoyable day (and weekend). I loved watching the kids crack up at all the funny parts, and it was just nice to have a relaxing day at home with family.

After the movie, Eric offered to take JayC & her kids home, so I could rest. (I swear, he did more chores on Father's Day than I did--and I somehow managed to get him to do the cooking?)

While he was gone, I noticed that he had forgotten the cell phone, but wasn't too worried about it. I was catching up on my facebook and blog stalking and wondering what Eric was planning to cook for breakfast for his first week of FHM when I heard the car pull into the driveway. You know when you live with people, and you can tell exactly what they must be doing just by the certain noises they're making from the kitchen? Well I've lived with Eric for almost 3 years now and I can tell by his footsteps what kind of mood he's in; so the moment the car pulled into the driveway I could feel that something was wrong. And it was. The first thing Eric mumbled to me when he came through the door was to call the police, but in his frenzy he grabbed the phone from me and dialed them himself without answering any of my questions. All he had said while he was dialing was that someone had tried to rob him. Of course, the first thing I do is check to see what damage had been done to the car, but there was nothing. So I sat there and listened to the story unravel as he told the police exactly what had happened:

He had successfully driven his sister and her kids home and was returning home via a shortcut route that we each take at least several times a week, with our kid(s) in the car. I often drive this route in the evening while it is dark out with Tristan fast asleep in the backseat of the car. From a glance, it looks like I am driving alone. You would never know that there is a baby in the back unless you opened the door. Thankfully (or not thankfully, I can't make up my mind) Eric was actually alone. He was stopped at a 3 way stop when someone approached the vehicle and tapped on the window. When Eric looked, he was staring down the barrel of a gun and a young man no older, or bigger than himself. He was instructed to roll down the window and give up his wallet. Eric did as he was told, and while still pointing the gun, the man rifled through Eric's wallet only to find no cash. He threw the wallet on the ground, took a punch to Eric's face and ran off.

As lucky as we were to not have the actual wallet taken (debit card, ID, social security card,etc were all in the wallet) and of course for Eric's life to be spared, it was a very rattling experience for us. We went over various what-if scenario's of how it could have been worse but in the end, it all comes down to a random act of violence that couldn't have been prevented by us at all. This kind of act makes you doubt your security, and that is something that is not easily replaceable.

When we first moved in this house, I had some issues adjusting to being alone in a house while Eric was at work. I spent the first month hiding under the covers with the monitor up to my ear, calling Eric repeatedly throughout the night. Eric often had to send a police car to drive by the house to check on me. Not one of my finer moments in life. I had finally started to feel more comfortable in the house and gradually found myself busy enough to forget my fears. There are still some nights I turn in early to hide under the covers but hey, we can't all be perfect! Having dogs in the home can be a benefit for some people's security but I fear that my dogs may be retarded. Sometimes when people knock on the door, Chloe hears the echo on the back wall and she ends up barking at a wall... :/ And the only time I have ever heard Reese bark was at a black woman operating a parking garage ( so. embarassing.)

I thought that this incident would set me back, but we agreed that we would not let this stranger win. We said our prayers, Eric planned his FHM lesson, and we went to bed. And in the morning, we ate pancakes :)


Watching the M's game together on Father's Day.
Tristan really was smiling, he just likes to make weird faces when the camera flashes.
Grr..

No comments:

Post a Comment