Tuesday, November 26, 2013

MA LIFE

Pronounced either "Muhhh Life" or 

M.A. Life aka the life of a Medical Assistant (student)



So, a few of you know how I spend my time these days, but in all honesty... I don't talk about it enough.

This new phase of my life is amazing. It is CHALLENGING, interesting, disgusting, awesome, fun, hard, sometimes not so fun, and sometimes draining... but I love it. I finally found something that I love to do that keeps me on my toes. Lord knows I need change 24/7.


What I do these days:
My alarm goes off at 5 am. My brain doesn't usually work so well at this hour and I press snooze a lot some days. Eventually I get out of bed and attempt to have a smooth morning, which usually by 6am, I've failed and things are basically frantic and not so much fun. I try to get the kids out the door by 630, which usually requires some sort of bribery or else they're half awake and have no idea whats going on. In this case, it's best when I have limp bodies who refuse to wake up. Drop them off at daycare, which is a hit or miss type of deal. Sit in traffic for a little over an hour, and eventually make it to class. 4 hours of school. 
I can't even beging to list the amount of things I have learned and now know how to do, but here are the fun things:

  • I can draw your blood like a vampire, only with a needle and through a tube. 
  • If you ever need some morphine in your butt... I'm your girl.
  • I can tell you what the name of every single operating utensil is called...despite whether I know how to use it or not (I will not be performing surgery...ever. But I will be assisting so apparently this is important).
  • I know how to clean up a spill like a pro. I know...you thought that as a mother, I'd already know this...but YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG. There's so much more to it. (insert sarcastic drip here)
  • I can rock a yellow banana suit like nobody's business.
  • I can stitch you up, and I can take those stitches out. I can also staple you, and remove those staples. Just in case.
  • I can strategically toss sterile operating utensiles onto a tray without crossing the sterile margin. Oy. 
  • I can also prep your skin for a minor surgery, like a mole removal. 
  • Oh and if you ever need your temperature taken, I can do that too. As well as check your pulse to see if you're still alive.
All these things you don't realize somebody actually went to school to learn...but here we are. Learning sometimes trivial stuff that is sometimes actually a lot harder than one might think. A lot of little details that you don't think matter. Like, for real. Today I passed off on how to instruct a patient to pee in a cup. Ladies and gentlemen, apparently this is not common knowledge to everyone.

My teacher's favorite phrase is "Common Sense is not that common". 


So Let's be honest... I come home and nap before I go get my kids from daycare. 

In the beginning, I was overly eager to pick up my kids from daycare the minute I got out of school. I think it was that "Mom Guilt"... and then I got over it.

(Oh yeah, I also work on my off days from school-- Fri, Sat, Sun-- so I value my sleep these days)

So yeah....This is my life these days. It's my top priority. For awhile, I chose kids...then school. and then I realized, that in my heart...my kids are always # 1...but in reality, school must be first because ultimately it puts my kids first. So there it is. I'm sacrificing time spent with my kids so that my kids will eventually have a better life. I see everything as a win-win. They LOVE daycare, I LOVE school. We all have new friends, we are all busy, and we are stimulated and learning. What could be better? It's all about perspective people. 
As a stay at home mom, I could hardly see this way of life as a dream come true...but now, I see it as just that. 
Maybe not the way I envisioned...but I've learned to adapt.






Some mornings are a little tougher than others, and I kind of want to lay in the fetal position and cry...and then I remember... if I can get them to daycare, someone else will have to deal with their antics all day instead of me. Chant with me, "DAYCARE DAYCARE"....ok, no? Well, whatever... I love daycare.







And if you don't believe that we play just as hard as we work, here's a little preview of how crazy fun we are:






No comments:

Post a Comment